Goshen Car Accident
Goshen is the seat of Orange County, New York. Routes that travel through the town include Route 6 and 17; the latter is the longest state route in New York and has two lanes in the east and west directions. The average work commute in Goshen takes 36 minutes one way, which is longer than the average across the country, and a substantial majority of drivers travel alone in their cars on these commutes. During winter months, road conditions can be dangerous. Car accidents can have consequences that ripple into the future, particularly when serious injuries are sustained. The courthouse, where personal injury lawsuits are filed, is located in the center of the city on Main Street. Whether you sustained catastrophic injuries or a loved one died, you should discuss whether you have a basis for recovering damages with an experienced Goshen car accident lawyer. Mark A. Siesel has more than 35 years representing clients in lawsuits.Car Accidents in Orange County
As an accident victim seriously injured in a Goshen car crash, you may be able to recover damages from the negligent other driver in court. Many people do not have enough saved to address medical bills and take time off work in case of a significant collision. Our attorneys will need to prove it’s more likely than not: (1) the other driver owed you a duty of reasonable care while operating his vehicle, (2) he breached the duty of reasonable care, (3) the breach caused your serious injuries and (4) you sustained actual damages as a result. For example, if you were driving through the snow and another driver, while talking on his cell phone tried to pass a tractor trailer when visibility was poor, and hit you head-on, you would likely be able to show he breached the duty of reasonable care.
Your court will reduce your damages by an amount equal to your percentage of fault for the accident under the doctrine of comparative negligence. If, for example, the jury determines the damages are $100,000, and it finds you are 25% responsible while the other driver is 75% responsible, you will be able to recover $75,000, but you will need to shoulder the burden of $25,000 on your own.
In some instances, multiple parties are to blame for a car accident, and it may be necessary to retain an accident reconstruction specialist to take a look at the scene, your car, and information about your injuries so that all appropriate people and entities can be brought into the suit.Damages
When our attorneys are able to establish liability, we can recover damages on your behalf. These may include both economic and noneconomic damages such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, lost income, loss of earning capacity, disfigurement, replacement services, and medical expenses. The quantity of damages will depend on the type and severity of injuries in question. For instance, if you suffered burns and amputation of your arm in a collision with a speeding driver on Route 6, you may not be able to pursue the same line of work. You may require expensive revision surgeries for scars, and you may need to hire other people to do work you used to be able to do on your own such as housework or taking care of your kids. These are losses we may be able to recover on your behalf.
In most cases, you can recover compensatory when a negligent driver is to blame. However, there are situations in which punitive damages would be appropriate, such as when a drunk driver causes your injuries. In that situation, there may be dram shop liability as well.
When our attorneys can establish wrongful death, we may be able to recover pecuniary losses arising out of an accident victim’s death.Hire a Goshen Car Accident Law Firm
Goshen car accidents can result in catastrophic injuries and fatalities. It is crucial to retain a lawyer that can represent you at trial, should it come to that. Mark A. Siesel is a trial attorney whose years of experience stand him in good stead with the court and opposing counsel in Orange County. Contact us at (914) 428-7386 or complete our online form.