Dog Bites / Animal Attacks
Being attacked by a dog or other animal is very frightening. An attack can leave a victim severely traumatized and injured. When a child is the victim, the injuries can be fatal. The White Plains, New York Law Office of Mark A. Siesel represents clients in Westchester County and throughout New York State for injuries caused by animal attacks. These injuries can include disfigurement, torn ligaments, scarring and even death. In cases involving children, in addition to the physical injuries, there are frequently severe and substantial emotional injuries from the trauma of the event. We will seek to hold dog and other animal owners accountable for all of the physical and emotional injuries they cause our clients.
In cases involving dog or other animal attacks, it is vital that the behavior of the dog or animal be documented if at all possible. This would include taking immediate photographs of the injuries, before any healing has taken place; taking photographs or videotapes of the animal involved; and obtaining copies of all medical records.
For our clients who are dog owners, we recommend the following, in order to minimize the possibility that your dog will attack someone:
- Spay or neuter your pet.
- Never leave small children or babies alone with a dog.
- Teach your dog not to play roughly.
- Enroll your dog in obedience classes until it can obey voice commands.
- Make sure your dog has received its vaccinations.
- Do not allow your dog to roam freely, keep it in a fenced yard.
Some simple safety tips include:
- Leave strange dogs alone.
- Never approach a dog while it is sleeping, eating, or caring for puppies.
- Never try to pet a dog until it sees and smells you.
- Never run from a dog, be aggressive with it, or stare it in the eyes.
- Stay still, if a dog does attack you.
- To protect yourself, roll into a ball if a dog knocks you down.
- Seek help as soon as possible after an attack.
- Try to find the owner, but first seek medical assistance.
The Law Office of Mark A. Siesel will aggressively and vigorously pursue the owners of the animal involved and their insurance companies to obtain the maximum possible compensation for our clients. If you or a loved one has experienced a dog or animal attack, contact us online or call us at 914-761-7633 or toll free at 888-761-7633 to set up a free consultation to discuss your legal options.